Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Such Minute Matters

I've been busy feeling sorry for myself today.  I'm trying out a new hair style, which - so far - looks as if I am a convicted felon whose electrocution went awry  and, to add insult to injury (in my mind), my mouse's battery has failed and I am forced to utilize the keypad.  I'll bet I've grabbed my mouse more than fifty times today, out of habit.  Plus, it is hot and I do not like heat, although I was able to successfully shop in the heat for over three hours today.  Guess my hate of heat is conditional and situational! 

This whole hair "thing" has had me frustrated, vexed, and perturbed for more than a year now.  My maternal grandmother's genes have clearly dominated the hairs on my head and my thinning hair gives me much consternation.  I'm afraid I'll be mistaken for Yul Brenner or Hines Ward in a few more years.  Hence, the constant search for a hair style that will flatter or mask my thinning hair.  So far, not-so-good.  For the past forty-eight hours, I've opted for a natural, curly look.  At first, I thought it was flattering, but today, every time I got in front of a mirror I thought to myself, "My gosh, you look foolish!"  One of these days, I'll simply grab my mom's old hair clippers and - zip, zip - be done with the dilemma.

I've had lots of self-pity for myself......until I got a phone call, then a text update about a friend's surgery, heard from a worried daughter about her mother, and read a blog posting that broke my heart.  Suddenly, my small, insignificant troubles came into perspective and I realized that I was just feeling churlish and I should get over it.....which I have......mostly.  I have a little over two hours before I must attend a meeting - two hours in which to figure out just what do to do about my "electrified" hairdo.  I don't mind having an electric personality, but an electric hairdo just won't do. 

Ancora imparo