Monday, June 13, 2011

Beast and I

I'll admit something, if you promise not to tell anyone else!  I anthropomorphize my vehicles.  I've done this for as long as Capt. SO and I have owned vehicles together.  Do not ask me why I attribute human-like characteristics to my "rides" for I would not be able to give you a cogent answer.....or an answer that you wouldn't laugh at! 

Just as most people would refer to their boats as "she's", I have thought of our cars as "she's", but this Chevrolet Suburban that we've owned for about eight years just doesn't seem to have any feminine attributes, hence my name for "him" - Beast.  Beast is big, but not as big as a Humvee, thank goodness.  Beast has a lot of roomy, interior cargo space - which our kids have taken advantage of during a few moves and Beast can haul a lot of weight - although since we sold our trailerable boat, Beast has been given a reprieve.

I feel very safe driving Beast because he has all-wheel and 4-wheel drive capabilities.  Beast has taken us safely through some very deep snow and very scary winter driving conditions, on interstate trips and just going to and from workplaces.  Because I am short and Beast is tall, I have a bird's-eye view of the world when I am driving him. 

Beast does have one personality "flaw", if you will.  When I drive Beast, he makes this funny sucking sound as the gas just passes straight through him, with no thought of digestion at all.  In other words, Beast is not very fuel efficient.  In fact, putting the words "Beast" and "fuel-efficient" in the same sentence is an oxymoron of the highest order.  We just do not keep Beast for his fuel-efficiency. 

Beast and I have just spend seven days together, getting to know each other once again.  Yes, he is a bit over-sized and clunky, especially when parking in tight spaces, but I know every square inch of him - where his front, back, sides and corners are.  We get along very well together, Beast and I.

Beast serves us well.  He carts lots of people and hauls beaucoup pounds without complaining.  His interior is spacious and very comfy for people with all lengths of legs.  I especially like his velour seat fabric.  It is soft - non-sticky in hot weather and cozy in the winter. 

We've had quite the adventures this past week and each and every time he has brought me home safely, day or night.  Thank you, Beast. 

Ancora imparo