Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hold On, We'll Confuse You As Soon As Possible!

I've never given much thought to class structure - of a socio-economic nature, that is.  As a former educator and still-active music instructor, I have given a great deal of thought to the structure of each and every class I've taught and rehearsal I've directed.  This will never change, for to do otherwise is to waste everyone's time, including my own - and time is a terrible concept to waste.

Tonight, I am pondering the whole idea of class structure.  The country of India refers to its class structure as a "caste system".  Before and, for a time, during the French Revolution, class structure was at the forefront of the conflict between the three classes, also known as "estates".  The 1st Estate was the Clergy, the 2nd Estate was the Nobility, and the 3rd Estate was simply known as "everybody else".  Being "everybody else" must have felt as if you were faceless, powerless and ineffective.

I feel as if I am part of a 3rd Estate, right here in the good 'ole U.S.of A.  I have access to group health insurance, for which I am forever grateful, so I do not wish to sound as if I am complaining, for I am not.  I was self-insured for a number of years, with poor coverage, high monthly premiums and an ultra-high deductible - basically major medical insurance.  With my 60th birthday last fall, I became eligible for group health insurance through the state retired employees' health insurance "pool".  I pay a fair amount for my coverage - I have no free lunch.

Much has been written and spoken about the difference between insurance coverage and cost for public versus private.  I have been a part of both health insurance systems over the years.  Never once did I feel like a member of the 3rd Estate when I was covered under private (corporate) health policies.  This is in stark contrast to the games that are currently being played at the state level with my health insurance for retired public workers.  Over the last four weeks, or so, I feel as if I am suffering from a "battered-child syndrome".  Conflicting, contradictory information has been tossed about, almost capriciously, or so it feels.  Literally, there are day-to-day changes in what is offered, with announced changes coming multiple times per day.  One day you may have an insurance plan you have selected, but by the end of the next day that carrier may have been arbitrarily cast aside by a faceless judge.  Keep in mind, all the while, there is this deadline of June 17 - TOMORROW - by which time you must have made a choice - based on conflicting and contradictory information - and, oh-by-the-way, if you don't choose a plan, based on disappearing information, you will automatically still be insured, only by a plan that is nearly four times the premium cost you are currently experiencing.!  Not to worry, new information is coming out on an hourly basis.  Just keep reading the fine print, because there is lots of information buried there intentionally to obfuscate any clarity you might have thought you'd gained.

I do know that I am grateful to at least have coverage.  Wait, let me re-phrase that.  I do know that I am grateful to have been offered coverage, even though the offers may only last an hour or so, before they are replaced by new, two-hour offers.  

Just sign me Confused and Discouraged

Ancora imparo