Saturday, February 26, 2011

Winter Weary

Last night I had the treat of outdoor-grilled pork tenderloin.  Capt. SO and I entertained guests and, once we determined the menu for the evening, we began to think about how the tenderloin would be prepared.  During the summer months, Capt. SO grills many of our meals, being comfortable and adept at the process, knowing just how long to leave the tenderloin on each side to achieve tender perfection.  After considering baking, a method neither one of us has used to prepare pork tenderloin, we decided, last minute, to grill.

Mother Nature and her sidekick, Old Man Winter, cooperated and gave Capt. SO a clear deck on which to wheel the grill about and reasonably moderate cold weather in which to stand out in.  I know we could have broiled the tenderloin but that creates such a clean-up mess that I avoid broiling at all costs.  In fact, I have, thus far, refused to let anyone broil in either oven since moving in almost five years ago.  (But I digress from my blog-topic idea.) When we tasted the grilled meat, with its signature crusted parts from the grill slats, it was as if the idea of spring and summer might actually come to pass.

Mother Nature cooperated just long enough, holding off snow until after we had turned in for the night.   That was all we asked for and, thankfully, received - a brief reprieve from Old Man Winter's icy and snowy grasp. 
He is back today, although in a more weakened state than his last visit.  Tomorrow Mother Nature will apparently be serving up rain - another harbinger of spring - and that is OK with me. 

I am so very winter weary.

Ancora imparo