Friday, February 11, 2011

Pardon the Pontification

I cannot help myself tonight.  An article in today's newspaper has brought me to the point when I cannot bite my tongue any longer regarding public school budget crises.  In my geographic area, no school district can escape the looming shadow of our state's financial woes.  The state is so far behind in school funding that every elected state official should be mortally ashamed.  School districts are searching right and left, high and low, near and far to find solutions to the financial emergencies they find themselves in.  District administrators are sabre-rattling each day, seeking to bring teachers' unions to their knees and put the fear of God into district residents.  This is an appalling and inexcusable situation with the students as the only losers. 

Local news has been rife with rumors about threats regarding curriculum cuts and extra-curricular slashes.  It seems that most everything and everyone is being considered for elimination except............high level administrative positions.  It seems so obvious to me (Am I the only one?) that superintendents are quick to eliminate principals, guidance and tenured staff but they loathe to eliminate the level of padding just below them. 

To help illustrate my point, one local district has made a recent series of domino moves involving only administrators. The newspaper article listed all of the involved positions and they were typical; assistant superintendents in charge of this and that and assistant principals that were moved about like chess pieces.  What caught my eye was the ludicricity (my word) of a new position (more top-heavy padding):  Director of Stakeholder Engagement. 

Can districts not stop the madness?  Are school boards so weak that they simply roll over and play dead, able only to nod their heads in assent, fearing to say "no" to their superintendents?  I realize my bias is showing but when a position is created with a title that NO ONE can ascertain just what it means the holder of that position does, then, "Houston, we have a problem."  Cut the padding, let the principals and teachers do their jobs, give spinal surgery to school boards, and encourage parents to once again grow backbones and take responsibility. 

As I indicated in my posting title, please pardon my pontification. 

Ancora imparo