Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Heard It Again

Once again, a health-care provider - a dental hygienist, to be precise - used the phrase, "It's your age."  I would like to go on record as being truly tired of hearing this.  I do not need reminding of how the calendar keeps changing, page after page, year after year.  My body tells me in subtle and not-so-subtle ways that I am no longer a thirty-something.  Fortunately, my mind does not realize my body's chronological age or stage.  My mind still takes me places and encourages me to do and try activities that make Capt. SO's eyebrows rise and, on occasion, cause him to tell me to act my age........the ultimate compliment!

I would love to water ski at least one more time.  I'm pretty sure if the driver of the boat were skilled, I could get up without dislocating any joint and enjoy a ride around the circle at least once.  Granted, the water would have to be relatively calm - maybe just a slight chop - and I would want the ski area to myself so I did not have to content with other boats' wakes.  I don't want much......just one more perfect ride.

I'd like to go horseback riding at least one more time.  I'd like to get into an aerobic dance class again.  There is just nothing more energizing than "exer-dancing" to music that has a great beat.  I suppose, "at my age", that I'd do more "sweatin' to the oldies" than anything else. 

I'd like to play in an orchestra once again before my hands and fingers become stiff and can no longer negotiate fast, complicated passages.  I listen to the classical music station and am transported back in time whenever I hear a piece that I played, which is frequently.   

I'd like to sing in a top-flight community chorus again.  Aside from playing in a band or orchestra, there is no other experience like singing with a large choir.......especially when the director is skilled.

I'd like to direct a band again..........

All these desires and dreams to do just one more time before my mind realizes that my body is getting older.  If all of these well-meaning health-care professionals would just stop telling me, "It's your age."   I do not want to hear those words again.

It may be my age but can't I just pretend?

Ancora imparo