Friday, February 25, 2011

Two-Inch Limit

I've been resisting the urge to "get into" a book for months now.  I love to read and during the months of Aqua-RVing, I am a bibliophile.  Somehow I associate the sun and water with reading.  During the other months of the year at home, surrounded by tasks and projects, I purposefully ignore the "readers' itch" because I detest reading a few pages at a time, then having to put the book down to either go somewhere or accomplish something.  During these months, my preference is towards the newspaper and magazines - reading materials where I can read thoughts and ideas in their entirety, put the publication down and later return to read more complete thoughts and ideas.

Capt. SO has chewed through about six books this "off-season".  I am thrilled for him because he is not one to readily relax and mentally retreat.  I've envied him but not succumbed to the "itch"......until four nights ago.  A book by one of my favorite authors has been calling to me and, heretofore (my favorite word) I've been able to thwart its influence.  No longer.  Even though I've begun reading it, the longest stretch I've managed to keep it, or my eyes, open is about ten minutes.  I find this totally frustrating and I'm tired of accomplishing this and that when my book is resting on the night stand, beckoning me to just "pick me up for a few minutes".  The other issue with this particular book is its thickness......a good three inches......which means that, at this rate of read, it may be July Fourth before I finish the last sentence.

As with many aspects of my life, my book-readin' needs to have some limits and parameters set around it.  The first parameter needs to be a two-inch-thickness rule. This rule would, at least, prevent me from reading one-inch Harlequin romances (which I detest) and choose-your-own-adventure books aimed at ten-to-thirteen-year-old boys, plus it would help me avoid the aggravation of reading a book so thick that it takes me multiple months to complete.  A book-readin' friend suggested that I read any thickness of book I desired.  To finish the book I'd just need to read until three or four a.m.several consecutive nights in a row. 

Perhaps a deserted Pacific island and a dog would be a more pleasant solution?

Ancora imparo