Friday, February 11, 2011

Tired But Very Proud

My SO and I went outside our usual evening's comfort zone tonight.  By that, I mean that we stayed up past 9:00 p.m.

But the effort was so worth it.  We attended a live musical performance an hour or so away, featuring an evening of jazz and blues music.  The faltering economy has made it more difficult for live performances to take place because many venues are canceling flesh and blood groups in order to make the bottom line look a bit more black than red.  What a shame. 

Tonight's concert had a cover charge of $7.00 per person, which, after hearing the concert, was almost a slap in the face.  The performance we heard was on a $100.00 per person level, not seven dollars a head.  Everything about the individual performers, plus the ensemble performance was professional perfection........and I am a tough customer to please.  I do not easily or readily proclaim that a concert or a musician has achieved professional perfection but that is what we, the audience, heard tonight and my other concert compadres obviously felt the same way.  We shared a common musical experience that comes along once in the proverbial blue moon.

It was our good fortune to be present at a "blue-moon" performance, which certainly overshadows the lateness of the hour and makes the evening all the more worth the effort.  It isn't often that I become totally absorbed in the music and, after almost two hours of music, think, "Why are they ending?  It has only been thirty minutes or so!", only to discover that the concert has come to an end.  We, the audience, were left wanting more, which is the sign of a magical, musical evening.

Yes, I am very tired but very proud.  You see, it was my daughter on stage tonight.

Ancora imparo