Sunday, February 13, 2011

Partial To Short People

I have a bias.  I'll state that right up front.  I am partial to short people and not just because I am one.  We short people have special challenges, mostly in stores, on the top shelves.  My favorite annoyance for SP (short people) is in a department store when the merchandising majors work their clever magic with displays at the top of the wall and the only garment left in my size is the one way up high....just out of my reach!  Another challenge comes in cleaning bathroom mirrors.  I can reach about ninety percent of the mirror but it that top ten percent that I cannot clean without hauling out a stool.  Just annoying. 

Ever try washing your car when you are short?  You can reach everything but one strip that starts in the center of the hood, runs up the center of the windshield, and all over the top of the car.  One long dirty or water-spotted stripe.  Further annoying.  Short legs have to work almost twice as hard on a walk as do the legs of a taller person.  And, if you are not a short person, you will probably never have to pay for alterations at a department store or shorten the sleeves and legs on almost every article of clothing you buy.  I wish I had a dime for every strip of cloth that I've had to cut off in order to hem the sleeve, leg, or skirt to the right length. 

I'm just tired of being short.  To make matters worse, as you age, your spine compacts as the padding between the vertebrae shrinks, thusly shrinking a short person to an even shorter stature.  If I live too long I'll be about three feet tall. 

While I'm whining about being short, the kitchen (or any closet) is another frustrating space in a home.  I have four stools upstairs and one stool in the lower level.  My one-and-two-thirds-year old granddaughter carries a stool with her wherever she goes and I can most certainly understand.  While she and the other two Musketeers have been here for a few days she has discovered one of my smaller stools which is just the perfect weight for her to haul everywhere but high enough to get her prized possessions to the countertops in the kitchen where she can occupy herself for a long time.  She also carries her stool to climb onto most anything she deems necessary to investigate.  While, with her gene pool, I do not think being short is in her future, I do understand her desire to simply "have stool, will carry". 

But, the foremost reason I am partial to short people is because of The Three Musketeers.  I know that someday, perhaps in the not-too-distant future, they will be taller than their short grandmother, but for right now they are the perfect size.....and always will be.  Someday they can reach up to the top shelf for little ol' Granny. 

Ancora imparo