Saturday, February 5, 2011

First I Chopped, Then I Stirred

I'm in the throes of a culinary classic day.  Hopefully not a chaotic culinary day, but the phone does keep ringing and I keep talking while cooking.  I've already made one gaffe, leaving out soy flour in the first batch of granola, but this is an exclusion that should not affect the flavor nor ultimate texture.  Dodged the cook's bullet on that one.   

Early morning efforts resulted in a turkey-vegetable soup simmering in the crockpot, a first batch of granola in the oven, the second granola batch waiting on the counter for the granola-making pan to become available, one cup of butter softening in the sunlight soon to become green and yellow sugar cookies later in the afternoon (Go Pack!), and three bags of Grandpa's frozen asparagus thawing in the dutch oven, ready to become cream of asparagus soup. 

A small crisis was averted earlier today when I discovered that Great-Granny's sugar-cookie recipe was missing from my shoe-box-converted-to-a-recipe box.  I had to move to Cookie-Plan B, after spending nearly an hour searching for the old recipe.  Sugar cookie recipes are not difficult to come by but Great Granny's formula used oil, creating a unique texture not often found in sugar cookies.  I'm hoping that some other relative of Great Granny's will have the recipe so that I can return it to my cadre of family favorites.

I'll be anxious to taste the turkey-vegetable soup.  I'm becoming more adventuresome with spices and this pot of soup includes three new spice additions to the broth:  Tequila-lime seasoning, horseradish powder, and oregano.  Hopefully these three will be complementary flavors to my standard choices of dried celery, ground orange peel, and dried basil.  I'd love to cook more with garlic but no one wants to get more than ten feet away from someone who has ingested garlic.  It is no wonder that garlic is supposed to help keep a person healthy.  No one ever wants to get close enough to share their germs.

Lastly, I'm hoping that my Green-Bay-Packer-tribute cookies turn out.  I know they will taste good but I've not used yellow food coloring before in a cookie batter.  Red and green, yes - yellow - no.  Here's hoping for success, both in the kitchen and on the playing field.

Did I mention,  "Go Packers"?

Ancora imPackero