Thursday, July 21, 2011

On Holiday

Since I am in Canada and vacations, here, are referred to as "holiday", I will use that term in today's posting.  "When in Rome"......

Canadians, at least the one's we've come in contact with over the years, are very friendly and welcoming to visitors to their country.  Canadian boaters are more than ready to give helpful tips on safe anchorages and quick to share information on where rocks and "deadheads" (sunken trees) are lurking.  Some of these hazards may be marked with official buoys and other simply have gallon milk containers floating atop.....marked more than likely by some unfortunate boat that discovered the hazard in the first place.  Having your prop or props distroyed or royally messed up is bad enough, but the possibility of putting a hole or crack in the hull of your floating house is a boater's nightmare........one every boater desires to avoid, if at all possible.  No boat owner goes to bed dreaming of a hole-in-the-hull adventure for the next day!

Boat owners are also, by and large, friendly and talkative people.  You can be visiting with people - as we did last night - and find that the world is, indeed, a very small place.  We visited with our "dockmates", Jim and Sherrie, last night for about two hours, in which time we discovered that Jim was born in the same small-town hospital and Capt. SO and me, and that his wife worked for twenty-some years with a first cousin of mine that I haven't seen in perhaps forty-five years.  As I stated earlier, the world is, indeed, a very small place.

The four of us were discussing how to stay "connected" while on a boating "holiday" and we agreed that it is a challenge.  We utilize public libraries (as I am now) whenever possible and otherwise hope that we have cell signals - which often is not the case when anchored in remote places with nothing but water and Canadian granite (which is spectacular) surrounding us.  Cell towers are in very short supply where we are. 

Since my computer time is up, I must unplug myself from this machine which, at least, has afforded me the opportunity to check my email, read my Google Reader downloads, catch up on the headlines from my home-town newspaper and read my favorite comic strips.   I now know the important things in life - Hector, in "Zits" has had oral surgery and is loving every minute of the post-surgery "high". 

Now I can sleep soundly tonight!

Ancora imparo