Monday, July 4, 2011

Corralling My Thoughts

It is the Fourth of July  and you would think that my brain has been blown up by an early display of fireworks, scattering my thoughts far, wide, and and irretrievably high.  I believe this may be known as "the scattergun approach".  Whatever the name, the results are the same.  One thought runs here and three dozen run in opposite directions.  Our GPS would have a field day with my cerebrum at this moment. 

One thought-direction that came to mind (pun intended) was house-building.  We've built three times now in Capt. SO's and my life together.  I'm more than ready for Time-Number-Four but Capt. SO would probably rather have root-canal work done or visit a proctologist.  However, having worked with an architect on all three projects, I can tell you that the design would never resemble an inverted triangle.  The top floor of a structure would not be bigger (wider) than the lowest floor.  If anything, the lowest level would be the broadest, middle floor less broad and the top would be the narrowest part of the building.  Makes sense, does it not?  A structure where the top levels are wider than the bottom would never survive yet some organizations still operate under that model.  Where are the collective brains of these organizations?

There is lots of activity in my neighborhood today.  I see many instances of extra parked cars and trucks, people probably coming together for family picnics and gatherings.  Our one nod to the picnic-tradition of this day is that Capt. SO will grill pork chops and I've made my world-famous (no exaggeration there) potato salad.  Capt. SO ventured out earlier in the day and purchased another el-cheapo folding lawn chair which will come in handy the rest of the summer season and it is red.....to go along with our blue and white lawn chairs.

My mind flew over my dad while I was cooking the eggs and potatoes for the potato salad.  Even though my father passed away ten years ago, I am still visited with vignettes of him and things he said.  While I was multi-tasking and cooking four things at once, I made a good-sized goof (Fixable, thankfully!) and I heard my inner voice say, "Patreesha Mareesha", which was one of Dad's "pet" names for me.  Funny how the memory retrieves details in random ways, places and times.

I have a red-white-and-blue dessert planned for today, in honor of our nation's independence.  While Capt. SO and I chomp down on blueberries, strawberries and pineapple (OK, so yellow is close to white - especially if it is covered in Cool Whip!) we'll listen to public radio's day of music-by-American-composers.  


Happy Independence Day, America!

Ancora imparo