Saturday, July 2, 2011

I Just Don't Like Them

Sticky things - I just do not like them.  I do not know why God made me this way - I have not asked and probably wouldn't get an answer anyway.

Of all my foibles, fetishes, and quirks, this is probably one of the more minor ones, but I was reminded of my "sticky-dislike" after I paid an arm and a leg to get the car looking pristine early this afternoon.  Upon leaving  the car wash, I parked in a near-by-store lot, got out to inspect the car and found a glue-like substance on the roof, probably pitch from a pine tree.  I rubbed and rubbed with a towel but all that happened was that fibers from the towel got stuck, too, and now it looks as if spots on my car's roof need a haircut.  I got back into the car and noticed an expired state-park sticker from 2010 that needed to be removed but I could not get it to budge.  A few errands later, I stepped in some spilled-soft-drink puddles and, with every step thereafter, my shoes made this annoying sound that served as a constant reminder that something sticky was on the bottom of my shoe.  My last stop found me parked next to a car that was covered in bumper stickers.  This was proof to me that God does have a sense of humor.

The rationality for peppering a perfectly good automobile with bumper stickers has always left me puzzled.  Have you ever tried removing bumper stickers from the paint-surface of a car or from the plastic bumper?  It is a thankless and time-consuming task that often leaves bits, pieces, or shreds of sticker on the surface, plus exposes the underlying glue substance that attracts all sorts of road grime, grit, seeds, and bugs to it.

You won't find (nor have ever found) bumper stickers on my vehicles.  I suspect that this means that I was a rotten mother, concerned more with the appearance and resale value of my cars and trucks, than with proclaiming that I had an honor student at Smith Junior High or that "My daughter and my money go to National College" or that I supported Erma Bombeck for President. You also won't find Rubbermaid (or any other brand of plastic storage container) bins in my possession with the stickers still on them.  If I buy a three-ring binder, the label comes off instantly.  New dishes?  No sticky sticker glue left on the bottom of mine.

You should see the glass containers that go in my recycling bin. 

I told you, I just don't like sticky things.  Pray for me.  I need it. 

Ancora imparo