Monday, July 11, 2011

Advertising Adjectives

Do you ever read advertising signs?  Or print advertising?  Sometimes I wonder how Madison Avenue settles on the adjectives chosen for marketing purposes.

For many years, my family traveled a northern route through an upper mid-western state.  This national highway took us through tiny towns and very sparsely populated areas, with varying visible economic conditions.  We were constantly intrigued by the motel signs that dotted the highway.  With little variation, the signs all said the same thing:  Clean, kitchenettes.  TV.  Air-conditioning - if the motel was really upscale.  Whenever I see the word "clean" as an advertising adjective I wonder, to myself, "Why use the word?"  Would a business really ever use the word "dirty" to describe itself?

Today I used some liquid hand soap in a small, decorative plastic bottle.  The "fragrance", I guess you'd call it - since it cannot be described as a flavor because who eats liquid hand soap on purpose - was "crisp cucumber and watermelon".  When I saw the use of the word, "crisp" I wondered what the thought process was for using "crisp"?  Obviously, to use the word "limp" with the words cucumber and watermelon would make the caption less-than-appealing.  But, still I wonder, why have to use a descriptor for the word "cucumber" at all? 

When I read advertising for a product, I assume that the highest quality of materials and components have been used, but the advertising industry seems to feel compelled to assure the buying public that no low-quality, sub-standard parts or workmanship was involved. 

Imagine if a restaurant ad contained the following text:  Join us for your next miserable dining experience.  We serve only the poorest quality meats, wines and liquors.  Our desert menu is second to all.  Our staff prides themselves in insulting and ignoring your every dining desire. 

Catchy, don't you think?  Perhaps I missed my calling........or I should be encouraged to keep my day job!

Ancora imparo