Monday, April 25, 2011

Where Is The Fire Extinguisher When I Need It?

I've been annoying my family and, perhaps others, for years with my frequent interjection of song lyrics that, to me, fit a situation.  These useful bits of lyric-trivia float around in my brain, just waiting for the opportune exposure moment.  It is amazing how many moments in life are commemorated somewhere in a song.....but then, are not song lyrics often written based upon the experiences of the lyricist?  Since Easter just concluded and bunnies are now breathing easier, I am certain that Gene Autry - the lyricist for the original "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" - was inspired by some rabbit-sighting somewhere at some time.  How many rock star/composers/song writers have said, in an interview, that they were sitting on an airplane or tour bus and an incident prompted a new song? 

Well, Kenny Rogers has been on my mind this morning, with the lyrics from his song, "The Gambler":

"Know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em." 

I have inadvertently found myself in between the proverbial "rock and and a hard place" and it is a highly uncomfortable position to be in.  In a "fight or flight" situation, my initial instinct is usually to flee and that is exactly where I find myself.  When faced with controversy and conflict, isn't it simply easier to back off or walk away than voluntarily become ensnared in a web of someone else's making?  I write, not infrequently, about life being too short anyway, so why take a seat, of my own volition, in a frying pan that is already smoking?  

I am not a gambler....never have been and probably never will be.  The three or four times that I have played poker (for pennies) have never resulted in a positive position at the end of the game, so, clearly, I do not "know when to hold 'em" or "know when to fold 'em".....but I can smell smoke before the fire and I know I need a fire extinguisher.....sooner than later.

Ancora imparo