Saturday, April 16, 2011

Abundant Incongruity

I am not an economist - nowhere near.  My idea of  "the economy" is shopping at a Macy's sale.  If my personal economist, Capt. SO, is unable to fulfill his duties, then that is why "I got people" - people whose names are on business cards - people who I can call up and get an appointment with. This is not incongruous.  This is prepared. 

I do know that I am programmed to not like debt - personal or national.  It is inconceivable to me that since 1837, when our country was debt-free for only one year, the United States has amassed twelve trillion dollars in national debt.  12 trillion buckaroos.  Inconceivable and incongruous. 

I live in a state that is so far in the red that it cannot and is not attempting to pay its bills - to any of its not-for-profit entities, including its public schools......yet its governor recently announced sending millions overseas towards people affected by natural disasters.  We cannot fund our public-education obligation in the state, putting nearly every school district and its pupils at risk, yet we can send millions overseas.  Incongruous.

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday and it is snowing here.  This reminds me of a spring break of yore, when our family and dog, Max, headed up to northern climes for a two-night stay.  When the unexpected ice storm hit, the temps dropped below freezing during the night and I was unable to think about our poor dog sleeping, cold and alone, in the mini van, so Dog and I huddled together in the van at night.  Incongruous.

Capt. SO and I visited a local business this afternoon that makes and sells their own, delicious, dairy products.  Our fat-free/sugar-free raspberry yogurt and chocolate swirl concoction was delicious - even in the snow.  Incongruous.

Unqualified individuals hold positions of great influence that affect many people.  Incongruous.

Back to the "snowing here" comment.  I'm thinking that instead of sipping ice water and reading the paper this afternoon, I should be sipping on a hot Tom and Jerry.  The former is incongruous.  The latter is more appropriate for the weather and lots more fun!  If I am going to write about incongruity, the least I can do is
is try to avoid it.

Ancora imparo