Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oh, For Cryin' Out Loud

This is ridiculous.  The winter storm warning did truly dump snow on my area and it is still snowing - wet, heavy and sloppy flakes that I would describe as a nuisance snowfall.  The surprise spring storm forced us to cancel dinner plans last night that we had been looking forward to for several weeks and the snow may just cause yet another dinner-plan cancellation for tonight.  Mother Nature just had to have one last laugh. 

The snow that befell the area was about six to seven inches in depth and, where not plowed but driven over, is melting quickly.  But.......there is nowhere for the melted snow to drain, consequently parking lots and streets' curb-sides are filled with water between tire tracks that is about four to five inches deep.  Truly a mess, resulting in wet shoes, boots and pantleg bottoms.  I'm sorely testing the last application of boot water repellent that I applied to my winter boots some months ago. 

Last weekend was prom weekend here and on prom night there was quite the snowfall.  Girls, resplendent in their skimpy, strapless gowns, complete with Cinderella-type slipper-shoes, froze their size-two tushes and feet.  Stores' inventories on winter-style wraps were low-to-non-existent so the girls were forced to wear cumbersome winter parkas or forgo coats in favor of protecting their fragile egos on such an important evening.  No reports have been heard on what the cold weather did to the expensive corsages that cost the guys their hard-earned cash. 

It is past the middle of April, for cryin' out loud.  Easter Bunne' is due soon and children here must be scared that E.B. will not be able to make an appearance due to deep snow or freezing temperatures.  Easter-egg hunts may be curtailed or totally cancelled, depending on Mother Nature's mood come Easter morning. 

As for me, I am prepared with my winter boots, which, heretofore, have not leaked.  I can report that my socks are still warm and dry so it must be that the former application of water repellent is still working.  Soon I'll make my way carefully to my car,testing the waterproofing one more time as I wade through ankle-high cold water. 

I also realize that it will not be long before I am complaining about heat and humidity.......for cryin' out loud!

Ancora imparo