Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ontologically Confused

This seldom happens to me.......I'm having trouble remembering what day this is.  Do you ever feel like that?  It doesn't take much any more.  Just a couple of days where routines are altered and, Voila! My days become mixed up in my head.

For instance, change my routine of doing the laundry and a Sunday feels like a Saturday.  Grocery shop on a day other than the "usual" shopping day and suddenly my inner chronology is all mixed up.  Today I mixed up  Thursday, Saturday and Sunday activities and suddenly I can't figure what day of the week this feels like.  Even tomorrow will add to the confusion because my normal Monday routine will be altered and then I'll really feel baffled and bewildered.  If I'm not careful, I'll be dressing up in my Sunday best on Tuesday and heading off to church early in the morning.

All of this, plus something my pastor said this morning, combined to make me see that my need for a puppy, more caffeine, chocolate, or all three is increasing.  My pastor kind of mumbled something this morning about "ontological".  I had never heard this word before, so I wrote down what I thought I heard and decided to look it up later.  I wasn't sure if I heard him correctly so I also wrote down "ornithological", "oncological", and "analogical".  Because this was a sermon about the last twenty-four hours of Christ, I was pretty sure I had not heard him say "gynecological" or "urological", since those two words didn't seem to have any relevance to the topic at hand.

I came home and researched the word "ontological" in my favorite tome, "Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition" and found the following:

Ontological  is from the Greek, "ov" - that which is and "logia" - science, study or theoryOntological is the philosophical study of the nature of being, existence or reality.  In analytical philosophy, ontology concerns the determining of whether some categories of "being" are fundamental. 

Whew!  And, to think I simply thought I was confused about what day of the week it was.  I had no idea that my ontological gyroscope was in jeopardy!  This could be serious, folks.  Beware of your own ontological confusion.

Ancora imparological