Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Nicest People

Occasionally I open myself up, either deliberately or circumstantially, to conversations with people whom I have never met before.  Most of the time, when this occurs, I come away thankful that I took the time to visit.  I am not an airplane conversationalist, preferring instead to read my book, snooze, or gaze out the window - should I be fortunate enough to have a window seat.  However, placed in a situation where not chatting would be rude, I can keep up with the best of gabbers. 

There are few places more conducive to tete-a-tetes than Bed and Breakfast establishments.  Because few B and B's can accommodate large numbers of guests, guests are most frequently seated at one large dining room table.  Since all guests are literally eyeball-to-eyeball with each other, talking is a natural phenomenon - or should be - to avoid the impression of being a total jerk.  Capt. SO and I have met the most delightful people at B and B's, conversing with residents of states spanning both coasts of the United States.  Every guest's reason for traveling to the B and B's particular address varies from an intentional vacation destination to gathering due to family situations such as weddings, reunions, or funerals.  Most B and B guests have stayed at least one prior B and B so they are familiar with the de rigueur of chatting.  Discussions can run the gamut from the sublime to the ridiculous, from the banal to the weird, to the humorous or the tender.  B and B morning conversations are seldom quiet, more often lively and highly interesting. 

And so it has been with the B and B stay.  Friendly people, delicious food, pleasant and comfortable surroundings. 

Not tried a Bed and Breakfast?  I'd heartily recommend it!

Ancora imparo