Thursday, April 14, 2011

Smothers Brothers' Lesson

I will happily date myself with this blog about the Smothers Brothers - a brilliant comedy act that cut its teeth in the uproar of the 1960's and early 1970's.  Real siblings, not faux sibs for performance purposes, they were unafraid, much to their television network executives' chagrins, to voice their displeasure with the political issues and politicos of the time.  Often in trouble with the network censors, the Smothers Brothers had a cult-like following that crossed many boundaries of socio-economic strata.  I was a big then and would be now if they came to a town in my county.

Many of their jokes have remained as staple references between Capt. SO, myself, and even our offspring.  An oft-quoted joke of theirs seems to be applicable, in many pockets of current existence.  Please indulge me as I attempt to give life to the joke/story in this posting.  Paraphrased, of course, this joke can be applied to any work or volunteer area where a person chooses to spend time.

"In Washington D.C., there are two types of people.  One group of people wears very little clothing.  Why, we do not know.  We call them the "less-ons".  The other type of people wears a lot of clothing.  Perhaps they are always cold.  We do not know.  We call them the "more-ons".  Hence, two types of people:  less-ons and more-ons."

Tommy and Dickie, thank you for your observations about humankind.  I find myself going back and forth between the two groups, although, thankfully, my body is very warm-blooded so I prefer wearing fewer clothes to piling on the layers.

The less, the better.

Ancora imparo