Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Idea Wasn't Original

I was so impressed with my idea! Last night, I declared to my SO that I would set the alarm for an early hour today, get up, make coffee, and depart for the car wash, arriving before the opening, hoping to be first or second in line. I had also checked the weather report and it was forecast to be the perfect day to get the auto cleaned.

In my pre-organized world, I laid all of these plans out in my mind, thinking that I would get the car cleaned and be back home quickly, in time to make breakfast and accomplish many other tasks on my Saturday-task list. I left home, armed with a full mug of freshly brewed coffee and a magazine with which to pleasurably pass the time, waiting for the car wash to open.

As I turned onto the car-wash street, a vehicle in front of me also turned into the establishment's driveway. Smart person, just like me, I thought as I smiled to myself. Imagine my great surprise when I turned into the driveway, almost ten minutes before the advertised opening time, and discovered the big OPEN neon sign lit up and nine other vehicles in front of mine. My magazine and coffee came in handy, plus I got to people-watch.

At this hour of the day, I was the only female in the line and, even at my advancing older age, I was the youngest (looking) person sitting behind the wheel. I felt like I was in Mesa, Arizona or southern Florida, waiting to get my car spit-shined and polished. I kept wondering how it was that other people could have the same good idea I did.

But they did and I so enjoyed my magazine and coffee that once I left with the car, I returned home and decided to go back with Beast, who really needed a bath. After refilling my coffee mug, I climbed up into Beast's comfortable seat, and returned to the car wash. This time there were only five other vehicles in front of me and my time to read and drink coffee was limited.

As I was waiting for Beast to come through the automated line, the gentleman whose car was in front of Beast was watching the crew wipe down his ride. While I approached him, a total stranger, he turned to me and said, "She's a beauty, isn't she? Looks as good today as the day she was new in 2004. " 'She' did. I made the appropriate murmurings about how I agreed with him. He then turned back toward the observation glass and told his car how great 'she' looked. Then he was summoned to drive his car away but he left me realizing that not only wasn't I the only one with the original idea to get my vehicle washed, I also was not the only person who talks to my vehicle.

Beast looked good after his bath and I told him so.

Ancora imparo