Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nouveau Moi

Stop the world, I want to get off! I am traveling through so much uncharted territory I am dizzy from the journey!

As readers will know, last night I completed my three-hundred and sixty-fifth posting so now, I am into my second year of writing online. I am still pumped about that.

And, as if that was not enough, today I signed up for Facebook! I do not know what has come over me. Perhaps it is because I am sleep deprived, or because I am goofy with over-commitment? Whatever the cause, this is moving at "ludicrous speed". (From Spaceballs) All I am missing is my Winnebago with the little wings and a Bigfoot-type guy to keep me company.

What little time I spent on the Facebook website did alert me to the fact that I could have thousands of 'friends' without trying very hard. I have started with nine 'friends', one of whom is this sweet Labrador Retriever named Molly. I kid you not. This dog has her own Facebook page. How could I not want to be 'friends' with Molly?

It would be fun to connect with friends from college and high school days.......I think. I'll move slowly on this simply because it seems a little reckless to dive into the whole 'friending' thing too quickly.

How electronic social networking has changed the landscape of our social lives.

It used to be that, if you wanted to invite friends over for an evening, you would pick up the phone. If you are old enough, your friends' phone number would be one long and two short rings. Later you got your own phone number but you were on a party line that you had to share with other families. Of course, the phones were rotary-style then but when push-button phones came along we thought we had technology that would take us to outer space and beyond. Then cell phones began to make an appearance. The first models were giant and would hardly let you wrap your hand around them. Over the years, the cell phones became smaller, the computers became smaller and smarter and, one day, the two blended together in 'smart' phones, iPhones, Blackberries, etc. Now if you want to invite friends over, you have your communication choices of phone calls, E-vites, twittering or texting. I suspect, but cannot yet confirm, that I could invite people over using my Facebook page, which, by the way, is still a work in progress.

And so, I sign off tonight with my brain going a million miles a minute. Wasn't it Carol King who sang about "Bein' a friend"? I'm about to find out.

Ancora imparo