Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fantasy Meal

Well, the day has arrived, hasn't it? That day that society demands we must proclaim our love in a certain way or our beloveds will not 'feel the luuuv'.

My way of showing love to my family used to be preparing my annual 'red' meal, where everything served was either naturally red or had red poured over it - i.e. the meatloaf, which was smothered in catsup.

Great care was taken to include menu items such as red beets; a salad with tomatoes, radishes, red peppers and shredded red cabbage; tiny red potatoes; the aforementioned catsup-smothered meatloaf; strawberries or raspberries served over vanilla ice cream. I would use as many red serving dishes and plates as possible, all in an effort to create a Valentine's atmosphere for my family.

Since there is only my SO and I to cook for now, and we both are needing to watch our intake of anything fun, we are having a meal of salad, fresh green beans, a wild/brown rice combination, fish, and a low-fat flan with a strawberry sauce reduction sweetened with an artificial sweetener. Very sad, but necessary.

Here is what our fantasy Valentine meal would be comprised of......if only we could:

Shrimp Cocktail
New England Clam Chowder
Caesar Salad
Twice-baked potatoes with sour cream, more bacon, chives, and shredded cheddar cheese
A fine steak, wrapped in bacon
Cauliflower with a Velveeta cheese sauce
And, finally, a turtle sundae, made with the highest grade of vanilla ice cream possible

After which, some major body parts would inevitably malfunction, and I might no longer be a passenger on this earth.........but I will have a smile on my face.

Happy Valentine's Day!