Monday, November 30, 2009

Do Threads Matter?

Yet another conversation's topic has piqued my interest and caused me to ponder and reflect. This conversation revolved around whether the clothes that a person chooses to wear equates to respect.

Various studies on this issue have resulted in conflicting viewpoints. Regarding education, most studies, that have been made public, support the position that what the collective student body wears on a daily basis does influence the learning environment.

OK, but can we mold that into a 'one size fits all' generalization?

I've actually experienced polar opposites in this matter. On the one hand, I have observed that marching and concert bands I've worked with do support the idea that playing can be commensurate with how the group looks. Careless appearance does seem to equate to sloppy playing and performing. On the other hand, one of my best teaching experiences came in a public school where the students and faculty wore jeans on a daily basis and addressed each other by first names. I can say, unequivocally, that there were no issues of lack-of-respect in either direction. I learned that respect had to be earned on an internal basis, not by external rules, appearance, and mores.

Does what a person wears in a house of worship reflect his or her level of respect towards religion and God? Can we draw a dotted line between lack of respect and holes in the knees of jeans and other articles of clothing that people may choose to wear to church? My personal experience would shout "NO", but others feel strongly that there is a connection.

I'll go out on a limb here and state that I'd rather teach people with desire or worship with people of faith and sincerity wearing clothing dotted with holes than fake, insincere people smartly dressed in their designer duds. We are deeper than our denim.

Ancora imparo