Sunday, November 29, 2009

Manic Monday

I think that Manic Monday must have arrived one day early. The usually dependable Google browser is really having difficulties this afternoon. Perhaps millions of potential buyers for tomorrow's online shopping extravaganza are taking an early peek?

Which brings me quickly to the topic of today's posting: The invisible transition from feeling thankful to feeling entitled. One day we are celebrating the holiday where we are all supposed to feel thankful and by 12:01 a.m. of the next day we are morphed into greedy, grumpy, rude, and impatient shoppers (and drivers, I might add), all vying for the best deal regardless of how many other humans we have to elbow out of the way to get at the merchandise we feel entitled to be able to purchase.

Do I shop on Black Friday? Absolutely not!

If this is supposed to be the season of light and love then why do so many consumers become
the antithesis of light and love? Who can blame store clerks whose faces display frown lines, wrinkled brows, and mean-looking eyes staring back at inconsiderate buyers?

I do not know how you feel, but this is my least favorite time of the year to either drive or shop in any store. I would much rather keep my business online, where I do not have to waste fuel encountering manic and crazy drivers playing chicken in parking lots, lurking to snatch the first available parking spot from the vehicle who had patiently waited or 'Shopzilla' shoppers who intentionally step up to "next in line, please" positions, bypassing those individuals who were too timid to say anything.

OK. I got that off my chest, but I'll wager that I am not alone in my jaded view of the American shopper during the November and December holidays. Anyone else out there in web-land feel the same way?

Ancora imparo