Friday, November 20, 2009

Crisis Of A Real Nature

One of the leading national news stories out today actually carries with it pathos and drama that most Americans can identify with. Finally, instead of reading and hearing about the economic crisis and Timothy Geithner whining about what a good job he and the current administration are doing; missing children and the horrific conditions they have lived in; terrorism and its disciples; a flu pandemic - we now have a real and present problem with a national pumpkin shortage.

This crisis is especially problematic with the Thanksgiving Day Pig-Out right around the corner and millions of cooks poised to prepare and serve the iconic pie made of pumpkin. What most economists and journalists have missed is the domino effect that will occur in other food-related industries. The pumpkin-patch tragedy (it really is for the pumpkin farmer with whom I can identify) will reach far beyond the company that takes the raw pumpkin and turns it into the savory mix that our palates have come to love and demand, particularly in November.

This twist-of-fate turn from Mother Nature will begin to affect the aluminum pie-pan industry, the spice industry, the trucking industry that transports the pumpkin-pie recipe components, and, lastly, the dairy industry and its real and faux whipped cream products. No telling how many corporations may be brought to their knees because there is too much mud in Missouri.

What amazes me is that, with our country's free-trade agreements that benefit the rest of the world but not the United States, there are not dozens of countries waiting in the wings with bumper pumpkin crops, ready to sell their produce to us at over-inflated (redundancy intended) prices.

Oops, my tongue is now protruding through my cheek. I'm off to the supermarket to buy up as much pumpkin mix as I can. I'll stockpile it in my basement to assure that my family has pumpkin pies for years to come. That is, until the 'best-if-used-by' date passes and the cans bulge from spoilage. Then I can throw all of the unused cans away. My mother would be proud.........

Ancora imparo