Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Part of My Mother

She is tiny, spunky, and unafraid to speak her mind. This bundle of energy lives in her own home, along with her faithful dog, Gigi, and her handsome cat, Jake. She never learned to drive and has no interest in driving. Now, as her friends arrive at that magic age where they are told they should no longer drive and the loss of freedom hits a nerve, she will not experience the pain and is glad of it.

She and I are first cousins - we shared the same grandparents - even though there is almost nineteen years difference in our ages. There are only three first cousins living that are connected to my mother and this perky seventy-something and I make up two-thirds of the special group.

Connecting with the link to my mother and her family has long been a dream of mine. In fact, I had it right at the top of my 'bucket' list. The urge to travel to New Mexico and visit 'Agnes', as I'll call her, had become so strong in recent years that it was a clanging cymbal in my life. The state of New Mexico holds many jewels....literally, figuratively, and relatively. (Pun intended!) 'Agnes' and I have some interesting traits in common - such as being rabid fans of the television show "The Closer". Another show we enjoy in common is CBS's "NCIS". I enjoy the characters and their interactions........she simply finds Mark Harmon "hot" and that is a direct quote from my seventy-something first cousin.

There was never a shortage of blog topics while my SO and I were traveling. Tomorrow I'll begin posting blogs that were written in the state of New Mexico. It is a beautiful state. Visit it if you have the chance.

It is good to be home!

Ancora imparo