Wednesday, September 30, 2009

New Mexico Trip - Final Post

I feel compelled to write about the abject poverty that I have witnessed while in this southwestern state.

I've now seen many, varying types of poverty in my lifetime, all in the continental United States. Aside from Canada, I've not traveled abroad to witness international poverty, so I cannot compare my impressions with any other country's poor and indigent peoples. I can only speak of that which I've viewed with my own eyes.

Is poverty poverty, no matter where evidence of it is found? I won't even begin to chew on whether or not there is a difference between poverty and being poor.

Is poverty in the eye of the beholder? Possibly.

Would the residents of urban cities, Appalachia, Native American reservations and pueblos be able to agree on a definition of poverty? Probably not.

But......I do know I've witnessed mile after mile of it these past few days. Mile after mile where local residents will tell you the unemployment rate is well over ninety percent and the alcoholism rate matches it.

I also realize that I have zero to complain about........although I'll be churlish from time to time and I'll think I have something to complain about............like the GPS unit.

Ancora imparo