Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Friendship

Over the past several days, my SO and I have had the pleasure of spending time with friends.....good people they are. These opportunities have given me pause to reflect on friendship, the power of it, and the need for it.

Much has been written over the centuries, actually, regarding friendship, but the bulk of the arm-chair psychology information has been written in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. We've heard from a wide variety of authors who have shared their vast knowledge with the public, regardless of their qualifications on the subject. These same authors become published, then trot their books around the talk-show circuits and drone on and on ad nauseum.

We hear about 'How to be a friend'; 'Choosing the right friends'; 'How to find friends', etc. etc. etc. (to quote from "The King and I")

Here's what I know and I don't need a book or psychologist to inform me:

Good friends come in many ages and stages.
Good friends come in many shapes and forms.
Good friends don't always think like I do.
Good friends don't care how thin or fat my wallet is.
A really good friend is one who you may not have spoken with or seen for a long period of time, maybe even years, and when you re-connect it is as if not a day has passed.
A good friend is like my favorite slippers - comfortable, warm and fuzzy.
Good friends can come into your life unexpectedly.
You will know a good friendship when you feel it.
Good friends are a gift from God.
To laugh with a friend is therapeutic.
A good friend(s) is PRICELESS.

Ancora imparo