Monday, September 14, 2009

Can't Stay Silent On This

I realize that there are significant issues happening in our world that should attract my attention, that people with whom I am close to or acquainted with need my prayers, that atrocities and inequalities continue to plague the people's of the globe but......there was one media announcement today that caught my attention. An announcement on which I cannot stay silent.

A well-known Fox Television Network, musically-oriented reality show made an announcement, naming the person who would become its newest judge.

I do follow the show, catching its episodes whenever possible, which isn't often, due to my weekly night-schedule. Would you call me a fan? Probably not.....at least not a rabid fan, but I do keep track of the contestants and try to keep myself familiar with who they are and what they sound like. I am, after all, a musician and the show is supposed to be about wanna-be musicians who will get paid for performing.

Heretofore, I've been semi-satisfied with the panelists who, for the most part, have legitimate qualifications for judging others on matters musical. But, this announcement makes no sense to me, musical or otherwise. The end-result of this reality show has tremendous ramifications for the winner and, even, the top-ten (or twelve) finalists. Doesn't it seem logical that the people sitting behind the 'table' should have some musical skill, recording industry experience or musical production background? Simply dancing through an audience does not a musical performer make.

The music-performance industry is full of wanna-be singers who can't sing. It doesn't need an outlet for more of the same. The contestants who claw their way to the top of this reality show deserve having comments made about them that could actually improve their performance and musicianship, not just comic observations that draw chuckles from the live audience and at-home viewers.

Having had my say.........

Ancora imparo