Monday, April 13, 2009

Tobogganing With My Gavotte

Recently, I came across a phrase that I'd never heard before:
Tobogganing With My Gavotte

Within my fuzzy memory, it seemed to have something to do with having money, but I have since forgotten exactly what its meaning is.

Fast forward to today.

It is a dull, dreary, rainy and overcast day. The kind of day that sends minds like mine to far- away places, hopefully to return rested and refreshed. The key words here are hopefully to return. I do want my mind back but it has had fun on its R and R. While on vacation, my mind has created my own special meaning of Tobogganing With My Gavotte.

For me, the meaning is clear. I'll dance to my own dance, thank you very much. My gavotte doesn't have to sound like yours, nor does your gavotte have to resemble mine in any way. I can rhumba, gavotte, jive, watusi, swim, monkey, cha-cha............any dance I desire, to any music I so choose, at any tempo I want. I chose my dance partner thirty-some years ago and would still chose the same partner today. I can gavotte on a week day or weekend day, or night, for that matter.

And, do not presume to tell me which musical selection, tempo or dance is best for me. I'll make that decision, thank you very much. I'll also choose how long to gavotte and what I'll wear while I am gavotting.

In other words, let us all decide, for ourselves, the parameters of our lives......the choices we'll make and the choices from which we choose. I can spend fifty cents- on my gavotte or fifty dollars - that is my decision - not yours. I don't need groups, governments, elected officials, or well-meaning 'experts' to tell me how to gavotte.

Thank you very much..........I can toboggan with my own gavotte.

May you with yours, as well.

Ancora imparo