Monday, April 6, 2009

Confessions of a ................

I have a dirty little secret.

Actually, it is a secret about over-zealous cleaning.

This affliction has plagued me for years and has created many jokes in our family. I know my affliction is not 'green' and would be seen as wasteful by many an environmental crusader. I've considered seeking treatment for my problem, but have not been able to locate a 12-step program dealing with this habit. I've been mostly successful in hiding my embarrassing behavior from others, but, occasionally, when guests are here, I am 'outed' and my actions are revealed. My family has all but given up on me, although periodic whispers about an 'intervention' do reach my ears.

What, you might inquire, is such publicly humiliating behavior that would warrant an 'intervention'?

I'll give you a hint. I do this with clinical precision, before ever running a task-related appliance.

Not guessed my dirty little secret yet?

I am a double-washer of dishes.

Yes, I confess, my dishes have every bio-hazard known to mankind removed BEFORE they ever reach the dishwasher. I've tried to overcome my compulsion to rinse EACH speck of food off before loading the items into the racks, but, to no avail. I am hopelessly caught in a web of compunction. No amount of teasing, threats, promises of chocolate, or bodily restraint have been effective nor, probably, will ever be. (The promise of a puppy might be effective!?) I will go to my earthly grave, with total confidence that, if I ever forget to run the dishwasher, I can remove any dish, plate, or cutlery item and eat with it..........immediately, knowing that the item is devoid of food or germ. As far as I'm concerned, the dishwasher is simply an agent of spot-freedom and no-wiping liberty.

In fact, as I've typed this blog, I've gained a personal conviction that there is nothing wrong with my behavior. Composing this blog has, today, enabled me to regain my confidence, signing off secure in the knowledge that there are more of you out there..........JUST LIKE ME, but you are not strong enough to admit it.

I've gone public, admitting to my weakness of washing before loading, and proud of it!

Ancora imparo