Thursday, April 2, 2009

Have You Noticed?

Human beings have a natural inclination to want to be near other humans.

I've noticed some situations that will almost always guarantee one human being near another.

Take a parking lot, for instance. I like to park far, far away from other vehicles for two reasons. Number One reason is that by parking far away from other vehicles, I dramatically lower the chances for someone else's car door to 'accidentally' nick my car. I am continually amazed at the ease with which people bang their car doors against other vehicles and casually walk away as if nothing had happened. Number Two reason is that by parking far, far away I get some additional exercise, which never hurts!

But, to my topic of conversation today, I can statistically predict with great accuracy that by parking far,far away, someone will be inspired to park RIGHT NEXT TO ME, which happened today.

The next scenario that I can predict, with great accuracy, where another person will feel compelled to 'park' adjacent to another person is in a public restroom. I do not understand the human compulsion to see a long row of open restroom stalls that has only one occupied stall and decide to 'use' a stall RIGHT NEXT TO THE OCCUPIED STALL. The human instinct to flock together must be very strong, indeed.

The same scenario will be played out in the waiting areas of doctors' offices and airport terminal boarding areas.
People just cannot stand to see another human alone. Do 'we' think that people who have obviously isolated themselves are automatically sending a non-verbal signal to "sit near me"?

I think I'll take a drive to the nearest airport long-term parking lot, park my car and go find a seat in the boarding area......then I'll use the public restroom. I'll be sure to have lots of friends by the time my plane departs!

Ancora imparo