Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Beacon of Hope

Real signs of spring abounded today. Finally.

I don't know about you, but I've about had it with anything less than spring. I'm ready to leave behind the cold, snowy weather, dingy in-between weather, and doom-and-gloom national economic forecasts. I know people who are currently unemployed and too many people genuinely concerned for the longevity of their present positions. I hear people talking about watching their 'nest eggs' shrink before their very eyes. Friends openly discuss having trouble sleeping and other friends are eating themselves into a false sense of security. (I'm right there with them.)

So, what are the signs of spring?

Well........the trees outside my windows have honest-to-goodness buds on their branches. There are scores of robins flitting about in yards and trees. High school track participants are trotting, jogging and sprinting on area sidewalks. Tax day has passed. The ice has disappeared from the river. Flowers have poked through to the sun. Those odd, little lady-bug-type beetles have invaded my home. The area ice cream businesses have reopened their doors. My neighbor was washing a car in his driveway this afternoon. The Girl Scouts have sold their final boxes of cookies at the mall. The view through the woods between my home and the highway is becoming hazy. The asparagus I buy at the grocery store is becoming more tender and I am throwing away smaller, tough amounts. All the catalogs arriving daily in my mailbox are sporting swimsuits on the covers.

Need any more evidence?

Oh, yes. The final, most convincing piece of evidence that spring is really here........a true beacon of hope................

My UPS man was delivering in his brown, knee-length-pant uniform!

Thank you, Brown, for making me believe that winter has disappeared!

Ancora imparo