Thursday, April 23, 2009

To What Are We Entitled?

Entitlement........I've been reading and hearing more about it almost daily. Which, then, makes me think..........to what am I entitled? Am I entitled to anything?

But wait! If I'm entitled to 'something' (a nebulous word, to say the least), doesn't that mean that I earned it?

From where I sit, earning and entitlement seem to be polar opposites in our current society - not even in the same planet - oxymoronic even.

But wait! Shouldn't the two verbs be connected to one another? A nested if, if you will. I earn 'this', therefore I have become entitled.

Government entitlement programs have been in existence for many decades now. What once were deemed temporary fixes for what were assumed to be temporary problems grew as quickly as mold in a dorm room refrigerator. After a period of time, we, the public, grew to expect that these fixes, mostly of a financial give-away nature, would always be in place. Subsequent generations from the alpha group made assumptions and the feeling of entitlement cemented itself within our societal structure.

Trust-fund babies have a unique perspective of entitlement. These children are able to move about life as they please, secure in the knowledge that the trust fund, set up by a forebear, will act as a financial safety net. Some trust-fund babies have a strong work ethic and desire to achieve work-related goals they have set forth for themselves. Other trust-fund babies, such as a man I recently saw interviewed on television, take a more laissez-faire approach to life. This younger man had just been laid off from a job and was thoroughly enjoying life on his unemployment benefits, completely unmotivated to look for work, "secure in the knowledge that his trust fund, set up by a forebear, would act as a financial safety net".

Is this young man guilty of anything? Absolutely not! He cannot be blamed for the foresight displayed by his forebear(s). He cannot help that he has a trust fund set up in his name. Did this man earn his unemployment benefits? Absolutely yes! He is fully due whatever the government program sends his way, for as long as the government deems it proper.......as are all Americans who lose their jobs and receive unemployment benefits.

So what is my problem? I think it is the attitude that some are displaying. I am, therefore, give to me. I want, therefore give to me.

I am guilty of this attitude from time to time. Is it human nature to experience an event or 'happening', then have the attitude grow that the event or 'happening' should repeat itself again and again?

I think it is time to take stock of my attitude towards many things: Activities, rewards, even friends - especially friendships. I am not entitled to a friendship. It is not a government program that automatically renews every year. I must earn the friendship then work towards earning the right to renew the friendship.