Thursday, March 15, 2012

Unnatural

I have never been a fan of the month of March, but this is ridiculous.  March is supposed to be the month in which everything is dirty from the run-off of the giant snow banks that melt and the water runs downhill.  March is supposed to be chilly and windy - not warm, humid and sultry.  We are used to experiencing accumulating snowfalls on or around St. Patrick's Day.  The little green leprechaun is supposed to pop his head out of the pot-o-gold and figure out if he sees his shadow - or not.  School children are not supposed to need fans turned on them in the non-air-conditioned buildings.  I am not supposed to see young women in shorts tiny enough to fit on the leprechaun. 

As I said, this is ridiculous.

I am in contact with several friends who are teachers and they are reporting that their students have "checked out" and decided that it is summer vacation looming large rather than just spring break around the corner.  I'm certain that my friends are ready to "check out" as well.

The view of my backyard is complete with "unnaturalness".  Just about every tree has giant buds on every possible place where a branch could support leaf life.  I just pray that Mother Nature doesn't pull an April Fools joke on us and these beautiful buds freeze and fall off.  On the other hand, I most certainly do not want the temperatures to remain over-heated and only rise from here.  I'd never leave my air-conditioning were that to be the case.

Running errands in denim jeans was not fun today.  While I did see plenty of people in jeans, denim was definitely not the best fabric to be sporting while oot and aboot.  After ninety minutes of grocery shopping, I returned to find my car's dash thermometer reading 87 degrees.  Ridiculous. 

I feel like Ebeneezer Scrooge.  Strangers would smile today and say, "Isn't this weather wonderful?"  I wanted to say what I was really thinking but instead, smiled back and replied, "Yes, it is!"  What a hypocrite I was! 

Enough of the June/July atmosphere.  Let's get back to the end of winter and the beginning of spring.  Igor Stravinsky must be very unhappy about now.

Ancora imparo