Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Adieu, Old Friend

This is an obituary.  No, not mine and not for any human.  Rather this posting is an obituary for my favorite coat, which I let go today at a local department store's Goodwill Sale.  Please know that this was not easy for me, lest you think to make light of my announcement.

This coat was with me for somewhere around sixteen years.  Unfortunately for me, and my coat, it had begun to look very worn and was becoming increasingly difficult to keep clean-looking.  I guess that sixteen years of coatsleeve grime, however frequently laundered, does accumulate......as does cuff fraying and ripped and mended pocket interiors.  I took good care of my favorite coat and it took good care of me.

Over the past several years, I tried to find a suitable replacement for my coat.  In fact, I have one coat hanging in my closet that tried to replace my older coat but just could not fill the bill, as they say. 

Why was I so fond of this coat?  Well, it was the perfect color -the cornflower blue enhanced my eye color, the weight of the fabric was perfect - even for year-round wear, it had Velcro on the sleeve cuffs - perfect for short-armed short people such as myself, it had zippered pockets  - perfect for securing keys and other necessary stuff, it had a zippered front - no buttons to pop off or come loose, it had a Velcro-secured inner breast pocket - perfect for keeping currency or a cell phone safe, it had a hood and it was a perfect length for this shorty.

It was very difficult to part with my favorite coat but, part with it I did this morning......left it right on the shelf with the other donated garments from fellow shoppers.  I knew if I did not leave it, I would bring it home with me and tomorrow I would still be wearing "Old, Faithful But Tacky".  It remains a very serviceable garment and I hope it goes to a good home, with someone wearing it who really needs a good coat at a bargain price.

Adieu, Old Friend.  Your replacement is adequate and looks better but will never take your place.

Ancora imparo