Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pipes Vertical and Horizontal

 As Capt. SO said it this evening, I am enamored with the bagpipes.  Yes, I am.  I admit it.  There is something about bagpipes that is at once arresting, mournful, and glorious - the epitome of pomp and circumstance. 

We are all familiar with the role the participation of bagpipers play in the funerals of slain fire fighters and police officers.  Auditory images are all too familiar of a piper playing "Amazing Grace" at a ceremony to honor the life of a fallen hero. 

I became aware of bagpipes when I was teaching and a former student of mine, as a high school student, had taken up playing the pipes.  I invited him to return to our middle school and put on a demonstration for my bands.  Several years later, a member of the men's choir that I direct sent me a link of a performance of an international singing group called "Il Divo".  Il Divo is a group of male vocalists that was brought together by Simon Cowell of American Idol fame.  Il Divo has a riveting performance of them singing "Amazing Grace" in the Rome Colosseum, accompanied by a bagpiper.  I was so moved by the performance that I set about putting together an arrangement for my Men's Choir and piper. 

This past fall I was listening to "Classics By Request" on my public radio station and heard this incredibly beautiful piece for bagpipe, flute and organ.  An unusual combination, I was hooked when I heard it and set about finding out how to purchase a copy.  My search took me to Germany and one of the composers, Michael Korb, from whom I was able to buy a copy. 

This Sunday is the performance that I have waited almost five months for.  "Highland Cathedral" will be presented to our congregation during the morning services.  As I was rehearsing the music this afternoon with the organist and piper, I did truly believe I must have died and gone to heaven.  I can only hope that those listening will be as moved by the music as I am. 

Pipes vertical - the bagpipe; pipe horizontal - my flute.  Together, with organ, we will make beautiful music.  

Ancora imparo