Saturday, August 6, 2011

Observations From A Soon-To-Be Landlubber


North Channel Blog for Monday August 1 2011

Observations From A Soon-To-Be Landlubber

  • I have never seen so much granite.  My imagination can only take me so far in conjuring up how much upheaval took place millions of years ago to form the geologic formations I have been floating among.  It is as if God must have been a cat who had frequent hairballs.  You know how cats spit up their hairballs in the most inconvenient places, with no regard to where or when or how many?  Where I have been is more like a little water among granite mountains, boulders, and rocks.  I wish I had some of this granite in my kitchen.
  • Seagulls are very persistent creatures.  There is this one seagull that has literally been lurking on our starboard stern since we anchored late this morning.  It mostly floats about twenty feet from the Aqua RV but when Capt. SO grilled tonight on the back deck, the hopeful seagull moved in to with about eight feet from the swim platform.  He hasn’t squawked one bit…..he just lurks….hoping for a toss-out of some kind.  Somewhere, in “his” past, someone fed him something and he has never forgotten it.
  • Some Aqua RV’ers are not very good at anchoring.  Just like many trailering boaters like to watch other people back their boat trailers up – kind of like aqua entertainment – we like to watch other people anchor their boats.  Many are highly skilled and efficient, others are marginally good at it, and, as we witnessed this afternoon, some people just should never be allowed to anchor at all and should simply always be tied to a dock. 
  • I have become very fond of bathing in cold water when it is beastly hot, as it is tonight.  I will surely miss the convenience of simply jumping into a large “tub” of water to cool off.
  • Vacations are great……until they end. 


Ancora imparo