Wednesday, August 24, 2011

It Looked Like Playtime

I've watched "them" from a distance for some time now - little gray heads (well, mostly gray) bobbing up and down in the water.  I had been invited to join them repeatedly but I never thought I had time to add water exercise to my day.  "Besides," I always said to myself, "it doesn't look like much of a workout."  Daily, I would walk past, the women would wave, and I would go about my business. 

Last week, I received yet another invitation to join the women for water exercise and, unexpectedly, I heard the words, "I'll be there tomorrow." pop out of my mouth.  This morning was my third time in the pool and, let me tell you, that is one uber workout.  We are either jogging in place, doing jumping jacks, bicycling, - kicking in some form - for forty-five minutes.  I do not know how I'll feel later this afternoon, but I can tell you that my two sessions last week left me wiped out and tired by the afternoon.  When I stop to think about how much movement I am doing with my feet, legs, and arms, I realize it is no wonder that my energy level gets zapped from these workouts. Then, when I listen to some of these women talk about doing yoga after water exercise and playing tennis after lunch I think that they are built of titanium or steel, or maybe even they are bionic. One of them even bikes twenty miles every Saturday and Sunday.  All I do know is that these little gray-haired ladies must be readying themselves for a bi or tri-athelon. 

And I thought it looked like playtime.

Ancora imparo