Saturday, August 6, 2011

Make Hay Whilst The Sun Shineth

North Channel Blog for Wednesday July 27 2011

Make Hay Whilst The Sun Shineth

Being “on the hook” means that when the generator runs, tasks that require electricity must be performed…..even if it is not convenient to do so. 

For instance, Capt. SO and I decided to drop two bobbers in the water, off the swim platform.  We had the dinghy out earlier, trying to drift fish along a rocky shore.  This worked well for the first five minutes.  I had some bites and the breeze was moving us along nicely.  Then the bottom fell out of the frying pan.  I got caught on a rock and lost my hook, sinker and, of course, bait.  Capt. SO patiently replenished my tackle and I put a half of a crawler back on my hook.  This took longer than it should have because the half of the worm that I was working with also had the “elimination” end and it dropped “elimination” on my foot.  Now, Capt. SO told me to leave it and get my line in the water to try to capitalize on the bites that I had earlier, but I COULD NOT leave worm “elimination” on my foot.  Just as soon as I had my line back in the water, both of us got caught on a rock crevice and everything just sort of fell apart from there.  In attempting to free my hook, I got my line irretrievably caught up in the open-face bail spool. - caught so badly that Capt. SO had to do an amputation.  He got his bait and bottom walker freed and salvaged and offered to get me back into business but I declined the opportunity and, instead, told him to continue fishing without me – a high maintenance fisherperson.  Then the wind died and we could no longer drift.  Capt. SO declared that we would go back to the Aqua RV, put on bobbers and fish off the swim platform, in the comfort of our deck chairs and beverages in hand.

Which is exactly what is happening at the moment, except that I darted below deck to type whilst the generator is running because my computer battery ceased to have more than ten minutes of life a couple of years ago.   Fortunately, no electricity is needed to prepare dinner so I can finish typing, put away my computer, and go enjoy the great out-of-doors.  The generator will need to continue to run because the AC convertor for the freezer is not working and the only time the freezer “freezes” is when the generator is running or we are hooked up to electricity at a marina slip.

The scenery is spectacular and, a while ago, we heard a tree fall.  Now Capt. SO has announced he caught a nice perch so I must go attend to my bobber!

Ancora imparo