Saturday, August 6, 2011

Firsts and Lasts


North Channel Blog Sunday July 31 2011

Firsts and Lasts

Two important “firsts” happened today.  First, (pun intended) I actually remembered how to tie the modified half-cow fender knot that I learned yesterday.  I should have been able to handily remember how to tie it because trying to keep the pattern in my brain kept me awake most of the night.  I am certain that I must have tied it, in my head, over a hundred times.  Whatever technique I employed, it did the trick.  I am so proud of my knot-tying prowess that I may actually ask to be taught a second knot.  Already, yesterday, Capt. SO was rattling off a list of other knots he would like me to learn and, here, I was excited to learn just one! 

Secondly, the other “first” that happened was actually part of a “last”.  Capt. SO and I knew this would be our last anchorage out “on the hook” for our 2011 North Channel trip so we found the most beautiful cove in which to spend the night on our Aqua RV.  The cove does not have a name on any map but it is known, in North-Channel-travelers’ circles as “Longpoint Cove”.  This little gem is tucked away, surrounded by granite on all sides, as is the entire North Channel, where boaters are protected nicely from winds of all directions.  This particular cove has channels that lead to another “spit” that leads to another “spit” and so on.  As soon as we were set, Capt. SO got the kayaks down and we prepared to have our last kayak ride of our aqua vacation.  Yesterday, when we were kayaking in John Harbour, we had remarked that it would have been fun to pack a lunch and eat out on a granite boulder somewhere. This afternoon, we loaded our kayaks with bottled water and a tasty lunch hidden away in the front stowage compartments of the kayaks.  Off we paddled, in search of a flat rock and a sandy spot in which to beach the kayaks – just like we encountered yesterday.

Today that sandy spot was not to be found.  Instead, while paddling, we found only rocky shores or granite cliff-like edges – not suitable for tying up a kayak next to.  So, instead, we paddled out of a craggy waterway that lead to a bay that lead to open North Channel water.  The wind was in our favor and we knew it would push us back the way we had come.  Capt. SO tied our kayaks together so we could float as one and we dined on our plastic-sack lunches while the wind carried us from whence we’d come.  It was a delightful “drift” lunch, letting the wind do all the work while we happily munched away.

Firsts and lasts – poignantly together.

Ancora imparo