Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy Avians

There is a very popular game sweeping through cyberspace - Angry Birds.  Apparently, the game can be downloaded to computers, laptops, tablets and as an "app" to cell phones.  It's appeal runs from the very young to adults of many ages. 

My first introduction to "Angry Birds" was in a McDonald's play area recently.  A three-year old, her teenage sister, and mother were already there when Capt. SO and I went in with Princess Leia.  Having never been in a McDonald's play area before, I found it odd and annoying that the teenage sister and her three-year old sis were running completely unsupervised while their mom fed an infant and browsed her laptop.  The running was bad enough but the yelling and screaming they were doing was highly distracting to all three of us.  Princess Leia didn't know what to make of all the commotion and was content to watch the two siblings.  The three-year old soon became bored with the game and ran yelling to her mother that she wanted to play "Angry Birds".  I had no idea what "Angry Birds" was but after watching the little girl, I assumed it was some bizarre family game she played at home.  A few days later I read a newspaper article about the "app" and understood what she was asking for.  Just last week, a sixty-plus year old friend announced she had it on her Android. 

To the maker of "Angry Birds":  I understand that your game is immensely popular, but couldn't you have given it a different name?  It just seems to me that by giving the game a name with the word "angry" in it sends a message to children that I am uncomfortable with.  Call me old-fashioned, but I think there is enough anger in the world without enticing our children to play any game that extols the virtues of "angry".

That makes me angry.

Ancora imparo