Monday, May 4, 2009

Total Strangers

Characteristically unconversational.

That would normally be me in a waiting room, airplane, auditorium, or any other venue where large numbers of strangers gather. The purpose of the gathering matters little.

I am not reticent to strike up a conversation with a stranger because of shyness, discomfort, or fear - it just doesn't occur or,generally, appeal to me. I'm usually armed with a book or magazine, ready to wrap my mind around text and mindless page turning - aka escape.

So, this morning, as I wandered into the waiting area of a local car dealership, I took advantage of the complimentary coffee, shut out the ever-present din of the wall-mounted television, found a seat at a small, round table, and settled in, armed with back issues of several magazines. Shortly after I arrived, a woman came in and sat down with her newspaper. Something that the morning-news-program talking head said elicited a response from this woman and, I, lifting my nose out of my magazine, replied, not wanting to seem rude.

Thus, a wonderful, spontaneous, two-way conversation began. Her family farms. They would be considered medium-sized farmers, raising cash crops on over five-thousand acres and over four-hundred head of beef cattle. Hard-working folk, more of which our country desperately needs.

And so it was, a short two-or-so hours later that my name was called to pick up my vehicle, and I was actually disappointed to leave the conversation. Not too long before I had to leave, a third woman had seated herself in the waiting area and joined our discussion. I gathered my things and left a lively conversation between the two of them.

What a pleasure it was to open myself up to conversing with strangers. I came away relaxed and with a renewed sense of the basic goodness of Mid-westerners.

Thank you, fellow strangers, for opening yourselves up to me!

Ancora imparo