Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Simple Gifts

Small but mighty.
All that glitters is not gold.
Simple is better.
Less is more.
More precious than gold.
Priceless.

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free..................................

Simple words from a Shaker melody but truly applicable to this blog today.

I recently received two gifts for Mother's Day. These two gifts were not expensive but they carried great weight, both in their message and intent. The gifts were of small monetary value, but huge in their sentimental value. They came from the heart and stole the heart of the recipient.......moi.

One gift consisted of three paper flowers, toddler-decorated and toddler-assisted in assembly, with pictures of TLV. His smiling face, twinkling eyes, and devilish grin adorn a vase on my desk, directly in front of this laptop. If I feel sad, they'll buoy me up, as only a grandchild can do.

The other gift was a hand-written note, accompanied by a laminated card of Bible verses. The thought behind this gift brought tears to my eyes and lifted my spirits. It, like the three flower-pictures, will 'light up my life', time and time again, proving that simple gifts are often the best gifts.

When Aaron Copland wove the unadorned Shaker melody, "Simple Gifts", into his "Appalachian Spring", he took simple to a whole new level.

Between TLV, lamination, hand-written notes and Aaron Copland, how could I ever want for more?

Ancora imparo