Monday, May 11, 2009

I'ts Still Hard

Change.

I've written about it before in my blog postings, about how difficult yet necessary - at times - it is.

Well, I'm writing about change once again.

Change can come in many forms and it affects each person differently - as it should. Change can mean a change of location, a change of opinion, a change in health status, a change in job status, a change in relationship(s), a change in plans, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera - to quote from "The King and I".

What is interesting about change is that the smallest of changes is often the most difficult to deal with.

Take, for example, having to change offices at work or classrooms in a school........might as well have an amputation! Move my favorite chair at home.........forget it! Have to change driving routes to work due to construction and detours............incensed! Change my favorite coffee bean................no way. New waitress at your favorite eatery..................can't cope!

One change that I always get into trouble with is when one of my neighbors changes vehicles. I am used to waving at a vehicle that I know belongs to certain people. But...........when a different car or truck goes by, I probably will miss acknowledging my neighbor a time or two until I realize that a switch has been made! In the meantime, my neighbor may assume that I am simply ignoring him or her.

Even pets struggle with change.

I remember our beloved dog, Max, having trouble with a change in my bedtime routine the night that I never went to bed, working on the final touches of my masters degree project. Max kept walking toward the bedroom - over and over - but would always return to me, gazing at me with questioning eyes as if to ask, "What is going on here? Don't you know what time it is?" I did and the lack-of-sleep change messed up my system for several days. A seemingly small change that was mighty to my body.

And, the huge change of losing a pet. Max has been gone for three years - plus - and I still haven't recovered...........................

The best kind of change comes with quarters, dimes, and pennies. Yes, even the lowly penny has value - still. I confess that I stoop to pick up pennies - plural and singular.

So, here's to change. Large and small. If you stoop to pick up enough change, you won't mind the large and small changes.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Ancora imparo