Monday, May 25, 2009

Redifining Delicious

I suspect that, for every individual I would interview, asking the question, "What do you consider delicious?", I'd get a different response. This is just a guess, but I am confident about my conclusion.

Another conclusion I've arrived at, through empirical and anecdotal evidence, is that for one person, the concept of delicious does not remain static, but constantly changes and evolves over time.

Such is the case for moi. My idea of delicious has been forced to morph over the years simply because of dietetic necessity. Certainly not from personal preference and taste!

I am convinced that if I ever become non-lucid, my rantings will not be about people, places, and things from my past but rather the foods that I used to eat and enjoy. My babbling will include phrases and sentences such as:

  • I'll have real butter with that. (Instead of fake butter.)
  • Extra cheese, please. (Instead of fat-free shredded cheese.)
  • Make that two scoops of ice cream, please. (Instead of soy or rice frozen dessert.)
  • Let's see - I'll have my pizza with sausage, double cheese, and pepperoni.
  • Bacon-wrapped chicken livers, please. (There is simply no fat-free substitute for this one.)
  • Liver and onions (No substitute for this one, either.)
  • Make my t-bone steak rare. (Instead of fake meat strips made out of cardboard.)
  • Whole milk and cookies (No possible substitute for this!)
  • Freshly baked white bread, right out of the oven, slathered with butter
  • Campfire meals with full-strength Spam on the grill
  • Eggs cooked by spooning bacon grease over the top, served with thick-cut bacon
  • Turtle sundaes
  • Real mayonnaise
  • Full-strength blue cheese salad dressing
  • The piece-de-resistance.................REAL macaroni and cheese
You get the idea........my fantasies revolve around forbidden foods. Actually I have no forbidden foods, just food that I need to avoid in order to be able to see my grandchildren graduate from high school and college, plus watch their lives beyond their education. My end-goal is worthwhile so I'll keep my new definition of delicious, but if I am ever told I have thirty days to live, I reserve the right to change my definition!

Ancora imparo