Monday, July 9, 2012

Pre-Trip Trepidations


No matter that Capt. SO and I have prepared for a North Channel trip three other times, I still get butterflies in my belly.  He and I have both been preparing – each with our own task list.  It seems that even though we each make a list, and check it twice, some other little item comes to mind that either requires another car trip, another effort, another fix, or another rearranging of a storage area in order to accommodate one more thing.

I’ve just finished practicing knot tying for the fenders, which will have to be removed during our lake crossing.  I thought I would have remembered how to tie fenders from last season, but on a recent Aqua RV outing, I learned that I had remembered squat, hence, the crash renewal course.

I’m also quite certain that I’ve stocked up on way to many provisions.  Capt. SO would be giving birth to bovines if he could actually see all that I’ve stored here and there but, sometimes shopping in out-of-the-way places does not yield favored brands nor small sizes. 

I suspect that sleep will be elusive tonight.  Just getting started on the journey tomorrow will bring some closure to my “dis”ease.  Capt. SO is very cautious about lake conditions and when to cross.  It should be a very smooth journey tomorrow. 

At least we are taking our beds with us.  The only difference between us and a road RV is that our RV floats!

Ancora imparo