Tuesday, July 17, 2012

North Channel Great Adventure, Day Four, Saturday, July 14, 2012


North Channel Grand Adventure – Day Four
July 14, 2012


Birds.  Boats.  Cooking-ban. 

We left our idyllic spot in Beardrop Harbour this morning and headed back to Gore Bay, Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada.  Wow, what a mouthful!  CSO looked at Sirius Weather and determined that the chances of thunderstorms had moved up from thirty to fifty percent, so we pulled up anchor and chose the safety of a real bay and a marina’s stable, floating dock.  Of course, as soon as we were tied up, hooked up, and signed up, we headed to the village’s “downtown” and a serving of the world’s best frozen yogurt.  CSO and I both chose peach.  We did a walk-a-bout whilst we enjoyed our frozen treat, then did some necessities shopping – such as a food-basting brush, batteries, small propane canister, Band-Aids and Moleskin for my persistent heel blister, a thank-you gift for some friends, and a pair of new eye-shades for moi.  My nieces would be proud of my new shades!

After lunch, which consisted of a dehydrated but resurrected Idaho potato, Southwestern style, CSO is now washing Das Boot and I am waiting for the knock-knock to alert me that it is time to go help dry off the Aqua RV.  It always seems a little oxymoronic to wipe water spots off a boat, but – hey – those are the captain’s rules and I have to follow the captain’s rules (to a point, I’ll have you know) if I want to ride around on the boat.

I just looked at my email on my fifteen minutes of free marina time, discovered that I had over 200 emails and decided that trying to read any of them was pretty pointless with just fifteen free minutes on the marina’s hotspot. 

I listed birds at the top of my posting.  Seagulls must be the most annoying-but-protected birds on the face of the earth.  They also are the most optimistic and patient birds I’ve ever observed.  One bird will sit for hours, either on a rock or float on the water, in the event that something edible will either float by or be tossed overboard by a boater. 

Lastly, I listed a Cooking Ban.  I informed CSO that I will not be cooking onboard tonight, even if it means walking over to the nearby restaurant with my raincoat on.  If he wants to eat, he can either fix his own meal onboard or walk over in the rain with me. 

His choice.

Ancora imparo