Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rhetorical Yet Significant

Allow me to ask a pressing, rhetorical question that I need to find an answer to:

"Why do I own so many socks?"  Or, put another way, "Why would one woman need so many socks?"

Let me declare, at the outset of this posting, that I am, in no way, a hoarder of socks.  I do not own so many socks that they are clogging my hallways, strewn about on stairsteps, littering the floor of every room, etc.  Rather, they are neatly occupying one drawer of a tall dresser that Capt. SO and I share.  But, this morning, when I put away the clean socks from yesterday's laundry, I looked at all of the stockings in that large drawer and thought to myself, "You own too many socks."

Just how many socks does one person need?  Theoretically, boiled down to the least common denominator - only seven pairs.  No more, no less.  OK, maybe eight, if you factor in what to wear on your feet on the seventh day when you are doing the laundry.  If it is cold, you would want a pair of socks on your feet, while the other seven (or fourteen, depending on how you count your socks) socks are being laundered. But, what if you need to change activities during one day?  That would throw off the sock-count, would it not?

To answer my own query, I like to keep a variety of sock-types.  Dress socks, athletic socks, knee-length socks, those funky, short socks that professional tennis players wear, a few pairs of strictly-cotton socks to wear during winter nights when my feed are freezing and I cannot sleep,  mid-calf socks that cannot crawl their way down to my ankles when I wear my winter dress-boots, holiday-themed socks to wear on those holidays that require holiday-themed stockings, fuzzy socks to wear when I'm staying indoors during impossibly cold, winter days, etc. 

As you can see, there are many logical reasons to keep lots of socks and I get that.  It is just that when I open my sock drawer and see all of those socks, I wonder about my ability to think reasonably about how many socks I should own.

Another pressing question then becomes - Does anyone in the world really care how many socks I (or anyone else, for that matter) own?  Does anyone really care if socks were to litter my hallways and stairway or if people could not sit on dining room chairs without having to toss socks off the upholstery?  Would anyone care if socks were all over the kitchen counters and hanging on the bedposts? 

Possibly.

I must sign off and go think about my sock drawer.  Perhaps this posting will cause you, the reader, to think about your sock population as well.

Ancora imparo